Thursday 7 February 2008

The fattest day of the year

Very slow work day today, rather than reading people's blogs I thought time would better be spent writing one instead. Although I don't have a lot of work to do, what I am doing is pivotal in the running of the country so I at least have the solace of that. I'm writing a document that is going to be sent to every post office in the land and ensure the smoother running of our national economoy. Its about the Power of Attorney requirements for the different Channel Islands. So if anyone on Sark ever grants you Power of Attorney over their life and you have to prove that that is the case in a post office anywhere on this fair isle and the wizened crone behind the counter has a knowing glint in her eye because she can see the papers have been correctly executed before a notary public or the Seneschal (not a made up word, I promise) then you have me to thank. I don't know why I get paid when my work so closely resembles charitable giving.

Today at lunch I was walking round eating my 'Award winning' Pret Avacado/salad wrap (what award it won I don't know - shittest sandwhich for under £3? Entirely tasteless and the filling (mostly cucumber) falls out the end) and noticed that once again an office near mine was holding yet another meeting. This place has meeting rooms in the basement and so on a daily basis I can look into them and see what is going on. EVERY single time I walk passed at least one of the meeting rooms is being used. Nightmare meeting scenario as well ... media types in overly styled glasses, with their sleeves rolled up, hunching severely towards an unintelligable flip chart ... the sort of meetings where a lot of showing off and no work happens. Finally today I decided that as this was clearly the worlds most inefficient company and no matter where my career lead me I would be well equipped to know what this outift was and avoid it at all costs. So I went into reception and had a look today. Its a conference centre.

I've officially declared this the fattest day of the year as my post-operative sloth comes to an end tomorrow. It was going to be today but as Hen, Ames and I are going to Hot stuff tonight (http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2343.htm) it would be an excercise in futility. Plus Raj would be very disappointed if we didn't at least try to empty the kitchen - it certainly wouldn't be worth him having to tolerate the lewd, drunken shouting that is the hallmark of our every visit. Back to pseudo-veganism tomorrow and hopefully a return to excercise will swiftly follow.

2 comments:

SaintTigerlily said...

Physical activity is wildly overrated. I figure as long as I'm not forced to wear elastic waisted trousers I'm still far, far ahead of the game.

My standard, they are dropping.

SaintTigerlily said...

"Standards" clearly, not "standard".

I DO have more than one you know.