Friday 8 February 2008

Fattest day of the year (part 2)

The fattest day of the year has not yet found its niche and much in the way of easter may have to become a floating holiday, the exact date of which is only known to mystics with sextants able to interpret interplanetary alignments. This is entirely due to a visit to Borough Market, a place of such epicurian delight that I once won a serious, heated argument about how london was the best place on the planet (which it is) simply by saying 'Borough Market'. The argument wasn't conceded in a 'haha! good point, well made' sort of way, but in a 'I concede, take my colours and my soul and may the lord forgive my slattern's mouth' sort of a way. Its that good. Borough market is to markets what Meryl Streep is to acting.

I picked up some orange-yolk eggs and parmesan straight from Italy so I can make some killer carbonara. Plus I got a slice of chocolate tart which I just ate the nose off ... bitter as Jim Carey at the Oscars, creamy as Julianne Moore's skin (I'm sticking with the hollywood similes). While there I ate a Swiss grilled cheese sandwhich which has leeks and garlic and 8lbs of cheese AND haddock and chips, lots of tartare sauce. All topped off with the world's finest beverage: a glass bottle of coke. All in all a reasonably restrained visit but none of it commensurate with health.

I just realised I didn't get pancetta. No point in having parmesan from Italy if the pancetta is from Tesco. A return to Borough may be in order tomorrow - clearly the planets are not yet aligned correctly for soya milk and muesli.

1 comment:

SaintTigerlily said...

*Silent Fuming Jealous Hatred*

When I got back from Italy last spring and tried to make carbonara it broke my heart. I had returned with Italian: Parmesan, Speck, Olive Oil AND Nutmeg. The only thing I didn't have was eggs, and let me tell you, American huevos? They are embarassing. Our chickens should all commit ritual suicide for degrading their entire race.

I'm judging you, chickens.