Monday 18 February 2008

Art for art's sake

On Friday night I went to see Brian Sewell give a lecture, for those not much acquainted this is the man:



The man is a legend, he'd be a national treasure if people didn't hate him so much, he actually IS a national treasure and after he's dead should be gilded and put on Tate Modern as a terrifying gargoyle to scare away the gawping yokles who go there. He's basically the reason I didn't pursue art as a career, I was tentatively thinking that most modern art was a load of rubbish and much like contemporary classical music had lost its way sometime in the 60s and failed to create much of anything that had any meaning to anyone. It wasn't til I heard Brian saying much the same thing with waspish conviction that I had the confidence to think 'it IS a load of shit'. Having said that he put me off a career in art, he also simultaneously makes me feel guilty that I don't know more about it and is living proof of the pleasure and insight that can be found in great art. So I'm all fired up and wanting to study art again. Maybe I'll order some books today. The greatest thing about Brian (apart from everything else) is his voice and thanks to the magic of the internet you can hear it: http://www.briansewell.co.uk/brian-sewell-written-word/brian-sewell-soundboards.html

No comments: