Wednesday 13 February 2008

Arcadia

Despite not having any plans for the next 20 or so years of my life, my plans for my retirement are extensive, detailed and constantly reviewed. As of last night they have been enriched. I've always seen myself living on the side of a mountain somewhere, usually Bhutan, sometimes Canada/New Zealand. I'm leaning more towards a Canadian idyll as I like my creature comforts and they'd certainly be easier to come across in Canada. Although the scenery in Bhutan is out of control. Hmmm, anyway, plenty of time to make a decision. As long as I have access to snow and sunshine simultaneously I'll be happy. The house I live in varies wildly between a modest shack, a modernist villa and all the permutations in between. Apart from a housekeeper I always picture me living there by myself as well ... what does that mean? The inside of the house will be pretty much coated in dead animals and be focused around a roaring fire and projected television (onto a white wall, tv's/projector screens are so ugly). I pretty much see my average day consisting of smoking pot, watching TV, doing yoga and gardening.

Although I hate gardening now (too impatient) I've come to realise, based on every person I know over the age of 50, that one day I'm going to think its just about the most interesting thing on the planet. Alongside growing a boat load of vegetables I also envisage a greenhouse full of pot (inevitably) and a dank corner for growing mushrooms. Last night I was watching 'Around the World in 80 Gardens' and have had the revelation that spices are grown in gardens. A spice garden! Thus my future dreams now include a tropical greenhouse of spices and possibly even coffee. The fact that I am now sitting in my office in London, when I could be on a mountain somehwere wrapped in fur, eating vegetable curry, smoking a doob, drinking coffee and watching Argentinian Big Brother brings tears to my eyes.



Much better than Florida

1 comment:

SaintTigerlily said...

Sounds perfect. I'll be invited, I hope.