Wednesday 13 February 2008

Coffee

As the week drags on and anything fails to materialise by way of distraction I thought I'd celebrate what gives me joy on a daily basis. Today's celebration will be for the 900 cups of coffee I drink everyday and the people that make it possible. First acknowledgement has to go to the wonderful people at Monmouth Coffee (http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/) for importing what have to be the best beans in London (from Borough market, obviously). Snaps also to Cooperative Quebradon for growing the richest, spiciest coffee I've ever tasted that works well either as a short intense espresso or as a giant starbucks size bucket of coffee. The cooperative’s 40 members produce yucca, maize, plantain and livestock. The association’s objectives are to continue improving the quality of its coffee, raise the standard of living of its members and invest in their children’s future. Since its not possible to raise the quality of its coffee any further it must mean they dedicate all their time and money to enriching their lives, which is nice.

Second mention must go to my aunt and uncle who got me a cup/cafetiere for christmas. Despite the fact that it only costs about £5 and was bought without much consideration as to whether I'd want it (they got my brother one too and he doesn't drink coffee) they struck present GOLD! I was so excited to get it (definitely TOO excited, they looked a bit taken aback by my reaction) and I'm still excited to use it. Here's a pitcure:

Hopefully its use is self-explanatory. The combination of this magical cup (http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/) and the tap in our kitchen that dispenses boiling water I can have a cup of fresh colombian coffee as quickly and as easily as instant. In fact the only way life could get any better is if I could team the coffee with a joint. Or some ice cream - two scoops of good vanilla ice cream with a hot espresso poured on top is as good as life gets. OOOH ice cream, coffee AND joint. There we are, thats nirvana.

No comments: