Monday 17 March 2008

Off the chain

I also watched 'Stomp the Yard' and 'Step it up 2 the Street' (see what they did with the '2' there? Don't get it? Its a sequel. Genius). Which means about 4 hours of my Sunday was dedicated to step dancing and about 6 hours was given over to terrible movies (see below). Stomp the Yard wasn't too bad but only really because I found out halfway through that the movie wasn't describing some alternate reality where people danced instead of fighting (like West Side Story) but in fact this reality where people took dancing as seriously as described and tried to act all butch and shit even though what they were basically doing was Chorus Line in a tank top with more stamping. It leant the whole thing an air of insanity and meant lots of discussion during the boring bits (i.e. the bits where they were speaking ebonics and I couldn't understand).

Step it up 2 the Street is a Disney movie about street dancing. Literally no further description is necessary ... you can now run through the entire movie in your head without having to actually see it. Don't forget the tension between the street kids and the rich kids, the struggle of the girl caught in the middle and the message of unity and togetherness at the end.

As for the dancing? Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Four hours of flailing and jerking is a little too much for anyone I think. Problem with street dancing is that everyone basically ends up doing the same thing and at such great speed as to make it repetitive and impenetrable without being in least bit interesting. Too harsh perhaps, I definitely went 'oooh' a couple of times and there were some amazing dancers, but a lot of it was disposable. Good things? Dare I say it? Hot guys. I think it should just be taken for granted from now on that if I've seen a movie and there was a man in it with a pulse then 'hot guys' was an aspect of the film I appreciated. Not such a bad thing I think, I've forgiven many a bad movie simply because during the speaking bits I tuned out and just sat there thinking 'ooooh he's really fit'. Which would make me a terrible film critic, but makes it very easy to get my moneys worth at the cinema. Stomp the Yard was particularly resplendant in the hot man stakes, including Ne-Yo, hello pretty. I tried to post a picture of him but the upload thing is broken ... probably a good thing as I should try and refrain from behaving like a teenage girl as much as possible.

No comments: