Wednesday 2 April 2008

Haute Couture

We had end of month drinks in the office last week and due to the liberating effects of alcohol on co-workers tongues one of them told me that the head partner had said to her: 'I think everyone has been a bit scruffy this week, almost like its been dress down Friday everyday, normally everybody looks very presentable ... apart from Buffalo William of course but there's NOTHING I can do about that'! I would be shocked and offended but quite frankly she's right. What she doesn't know though is how far I've come - I no longer wear pajamas outside of the house (and I don't mean sweatpants I wear in bed, I mean pajamas), I no longer think 'who needs trousers I'm only going round the corner', I own trousers other than sweats (2 pairs!), I now know a dressing gown is not an overcoat - having said that all my clothes are still full of holes and covered in bleach stains and I break out in a rash if I come within 10 feet of an iron but SO WHAT! Baby steps.

Anywho in an effort to impress my boss and get her to give me a training contract I decided to dress up today, UP! So I trimmed my beard with clippers, I shaved the straggly hair on my neck (first time I shaved in ... two weeks?), I washed my face AND moisturised, I wore my favourite shirt (unironed and from a charity shop, but is nice and freshly washed), I used my cuff links rather than rolling the sleeves of my shirt up, I washed my jumper (hole in the armpit), I brushed my hair(with flatmate's cellulite brush, but its still a brush), put on my suit which I hung on a hanger the night before and put on my trainers (nobody's perfect and I am still in recovery from knee surgery). I was only 8 minutes late for work as well. Guess who's out of the office all day? STUPID WOMAN! All dressed up and nowhere to go (except for drinks later.

NB although I refer to my boss as 'stupid woman' in this post its bourne out of pure frustration because I actually love her. I lost about 11lbs in January and was telling a fellow drone that as a result I'd started having to tighten my belt an extra notch, boss-lady overheard this and went 'Hmmmm I thought you were looking a bit uncomfortable' HAHA! She funny.

NBB If you're thinking 'still seems very scruffy to me' then its worth noting that on Monday I wore a shirt to work that was formerly white but dyed myriad shades of pink in the wash by my landlady's jumper, went clubbing after work in it, slept in it and my suit and then wore the whole outfit to work the day after (I did at least shower in between). So today i'm basically Babe Paley.

No comments: