Thursday 3 July 2008

Rocky is a national treasure

Despite our intentions to make an early start and take in some historical sites gin, pot and cheesesteaks ensured our depature was in the pm rather than the am. We headed over to the Reading Terminal Market which is glorious emporium of every imaginable cuisine mixed in with stalls of produce. Could easily imagine myself spening a great deal of time in there .... might even be worth moving to Philadelphia for. Hmmmm maybe I shouldn't be quite so obsessed with food shops. After 'breakfast' we swung by the house and picked up E's boyfriend and headed over to the Mutter museum of medial oddities. They'll try and tell you its the museum of the College of Physicians of Philadeplhia but I know a siamese-twin fetus in a jar when I see one ... and they had about 15. I'm not sure when I started likeing medical oddities and taxidermy. Both seemed to have emerged around the time I first started reading David Sedaris. I'd like to think his work awoke within me latent love of stuffed fauna and freakish skin conditions but have a sneaky suspicion I'm just imitating him like an imprerssionable 16 year old girl with a bedroom full of posters. Either way I left the Mutter museum educated, impressed and nauseous ... what's better than that? Along with a large collecion of skeletons, babies in jars and dried children's corpses (I shit you not) they have the distended colon from a guy who had 40lbs of poop removed from inside him when he died. Mmmmmm.

After the museum we did a quick driving tour of the major points of interest in Philly: city hall, indepedance hall, the university, West Philly (y'all know it from the Fresh Prince of Bell Air theme song) the boat clubs and the art museum. The steps of the Art Museum were famously cannonised in the Rockey movie and now, helpfully, there is a statue of Rocy there to remind you of the fact. Its at the bottom of the steps. They wanted to put it at the top, but apprently the ART museum had a problem with that. Can't imagine what. Hopped a train to Penn Station and before long was back in NY and the comfort of Harlem.

No comments: