Tuesday 6 May 2008

Time well spent

So what did I do with my days off? Not a lot really ... the weather was terrible and many hours were spent indoors looking at the rain falling on my skylight. This was why the one day off got extended, its not really a day off if you're just inside waiting for the rain to stop is it? The one time I decided to go out on my bike I set off in shorts and sunglasses and by the time I got to the end of my road was slammed by a monsoon which quickly forced me back inside. The terrible weather definitely compounded my furstration with life in general - so many places in the world a day off work would mean cycling through sun dappled country lanes, wine tasting in local vineyards, ANYTHING but because I live in London it just meant staring resentfully at the sky and trudging to the supermarket for supplies. Thursday afternoon I finally snapped and went and met Clare for a drink.

Mum was coming into town for the weekend and Andrew was coming up from the south of France, alas I was to miss them both as I was off on holiday to Amsterdam for the weekend. Thursday I saw a show about a woman seeing what would happen if she smoked a lot of pot for a month (part of series in which she didn't wash for a month, had lots of plastic surgery in a month etc). This meant there were lots of shots of her hanging out in Amsterdam giggling hysterically while trying to conduct interviews, needless to say this got me all excited and full of urgent anticipation (on a side note, did you know that Pot isn't legal in Amsterdam, its just tolerated? Sensible Dutch people). So I texted Lexi on Friday saying 'ooooh I can't wait to go to the Dam its going to be so much fun' and she sent back 'I know! I can't believe we have to wait so long'. I was thinking it's only about 12 hours, can she really be that impatient? On checking my ticket it tuned out we're going on the 24th May. I'd like to point out that already that day I'd checked my flight details on line to see what time I had to get to the airport and failed to notice that I was intending to arrive three weeks early. Having to tell about 15 people that you are in fact NOT going on holiday as you'd previously thought is no fun whatsoever.

No comments: