Thursday 22 May 2008

Back to the grindstone

I'm back at work after having the day off yesterday with an 'injured' back. Tuesday I'd cycled home like a maniac, did my usual 45min journey in 25 minutes, and woke up yesterday to realise there was no way I'd summon the strength to cycle in and couldn't face the cost and time it takes to travel in on public transport. Plus my nice suit is at the Brick Lane flat for me to change into when I cycle in so I'd have to wear the other one. 'Nice' is a relative term, it's my nice suit because its made of natural fibres, is tailored and doesn't have two holes in the groin. Bearing in mind I bought it in a charity shop and is tailored for a man who was roughly the same size as me but had a HUGE stomach ... mum removed a panel that had been inserted into the waist band and the trousers fit me perfectly, the jacket fits great round the shoulders and then there's about 5 meteres of spare fabric round the waist. The other is black polyester (just fabulous in the sun we're having), is ten years old and has two big holes in the groin. Sometimes I think I might be TOO fancy.

So why the rapido cycling home? Well, I had a date! It was organised at the last minute at work so I had the choice of cycling straight over (big sweaty mess in 15 year old jumper that is ripped, stained with bleach and had a white crust of dried sweat on the back) or cycling home and tubing it. So it was all in an effort to get home quickly, shower and get out in good time (as it turns out I had to wait 25mins for a train so it was all pointless anyway). Date was really nice, guy I met on the internet and had spoken to a couple of times on the phone. We had some drinks and then as I'd not eaten (he had) went in search of somewhere to get food. Due to a combination of my extreme cheapness and the fact that we were in the middle of nowhere we ended up going to Tesco to buy food. He needed to do grocery shopping, there was stuff I needed to get so we ended up shopping and then going home! Its not exactly a recipe for eroticism and romance, as dates go I don't think it would be high on anybody's list of aspirational outings, but I loved it! I love supermarkets, he was a great guy and was a really pleasant way to spend the evening. Plus I did the grocery shopping I'd been meaning to do for ages.

So it doesn't look like we'll be tearing each others clothes off any time soon, but I hope we'll definitely be friends and maybe it will lead somewhere in the future.

No comments: