Tuesday 6 May 2008

It's oh so quiet .....

Many apologies for lack of dedication to blogging. This lapse in attention has not been limited purely to the blogosphere but to life in general. Having recently had a week of holiday you'd think I'd be all gung ho and ready to launch myself into solid months of endless work but NO! In defiance of decency, hard work and the spirit of the blitz I was off sick for the last three days of last week. So that means I can manage about 2 and a half weeks of work before I require a holiday. I personally blame my boss ... I had a sore throat on Monday (possibly just from smoking over the weekend) which then developed in a cough on Tuesday morning and worsened throughout the day. Ended up being a long day and during the last two hours of work, both of which were outside conventional office hours, produced no fewer than 5 different contracts. so I was tired, miserable and dragging my sorry butt home when my boss heard me coughing and said 'God, bet you're not going to be in work tomorrow, go home, drink some lemsip and have an early night'. I mean she practically DARED me to take time off right? So I thought I'd have a relaxed day off and come back in. One became three, the rest is history.

Its all got to do with a general malaise over work in general. I quite like my job and its not too badly paid ... it's just not GOING anywhere. The whole point of the paralegaling was as a stop gap before I got my taining contract and became a high-flying legal eagle. Alas it was not to be and as the credit crunch deepens the possibility of a training contract slips ever further away. being paid an average salary in the world's most expensive city is no way to live. I spend my whole life not spending money, not going to restaurants and not going to the opera/pub/cinema , I pay minimal rent and somehow at the end of every month I have no money left. Obviously things could be a lot worse, but they could also be a lot better and I intend to do something about that. I've applied for a training contract starting September 2008. If it doesn't work out then I'm out of here ... job in Singapore, Dubai or Hong Kong. My original idea was a job in India, but foreign law frims are not yet allowed to practice there and I don't think anyone would employ me locally.

I've been trying to save money to take advantage of the half price shopping I'll be able to do when I'm stateside. Now, however, I'm cutting down on my extravagant spending plans and am considering it a relocation fund instead. If I get the training contract then I'm going to take August off and go traveling, if not then I'm using the cash to get to HK!

No comments: