Wednesday 13 May 2009

To travel or not to travel?

Sarah from Hawaii was in London yesterday, stopping over on her marathon journey from Cairo (she's been living there) to Maui.  I can't imagine being involved in any travel itinerary where part of it was 'fly from London to LA' and only being about halfway through.  Poor girl.  Great to see her though, must have been at least two years.  She was all happy and glowing, but why wouldn't she be?  Boyfriend in Egypt and going back to Maui to work for her dad.  I can't imagine what its like to come from a place most people (in Europe at least) would consider a dream destination.  Went over to Brick Lane and had some red wine with Anthony and Bean and had a good chat and catch up.

She left bright and early this morning and I seized the opportunity to go into town to the gallery where I might work in the vain hope of tracking down the girl I met who works there.  Of course she was out.  Now I don't know if I should go back again or just leave it!  They change exhibitions next week so maybe I'll pop in for that.  Met Brittany and James for lunch, then swung by Debenhams on the way home and 'accidentally' spent £150 on a new duvet, sheets and pillows.  Never bought any before so I felt it was my time, plus they were 50% off so they were practically free.

Sarah was inviting all and sundry to Maui for August when her parents are away.  I've already got an invite to go to Martha's Vineyard for August too.  Plus I might be going to the Biennale in Venice, plus I might go and see an Opera by The Knife in Germany in October which happens to be around Oktoberfest.  Having recently returned from France and Spain and said repeatedly to anyone who would listen 'remind me never to leave London again' it seems strange that its only a fortnight later and I'm planning to visit Venice, Maui, Martha's Vineyard, Dresden, Berlin and Munich.  I guess Venice and Germany would just be a couple of weekends and the states is like going home so it doesn't really count.  That's what I'll tell myself anyway. 

No comments: