Tuesday 19 May 2009

Diet and Exercise

Made the executive decision to go back on the Paleo diet today.  Although it is one of the more restrictive diets you can go on its really easy and very nutritious.  Basically you're supposed to eat like a caveman and definitely not eat any processed foods.  So no wheat, dairy, rice, legumes, potatoes or salt but lots of lean protein, fruit and vegetables.  Its easy cause you can have as much as you want of the foods you are allowed to eat - no calorie/carb counting and weighing things.  I really like it because you start to think of food as fuel which is good for someone who basically uses food as a mood stabiliser.  The major downside is that it really sucks all the fun out of food.  For example today I've eaten an omlette with half a can of tuna and then for dinner I had a turkey steak, kale and broccoli.  No salt, no sauce, no nothing.  To be fair you can use herbs and spices but I wasn't feeling very inspired today.  If I make something more interesting I'll blog about it and take a photo.

I've been on something of a health kick for a while (lots of gym, lots of cycling) but haven't made too much of an effort with the diet.  I've lost loads of weight cause I'm doing so much exercise but now I want to take things to the next level and get the twin benefits of a healthy diet and lots of exercise.  I'll be a relief map of veins on no time.  Plus I've been on so many diets of the years that psychologically I feel like if I'm not depriving myself of something I'm not really trying.  Have to see how it goes - first day no problem, ge ready for lots of posts about how amazing bread is though once I start to miss it.  In fact I think I'm going to start a new blog all about my Paleo experience!  YAY!

No comments: