Sunday 26 April 2009

Watchmen


Read the book and saw the movie.  Book is very good and the film is a faithful and superb version of the book.  Obviously like most movies it strips the heart from the text and makes obvious dispensations for the movie audience.  The heroes are more heroic and more conventioanlly super heroes.  Not necessarily a bad thing though, the action was great and rather than trying to capture on film what could never be the director instead created something enjoyable in its own right.  I have a crush on Dr.  Manhattan.  Thank God he doesn't actually exist or I'd be saddled with a life long obsession.  I feel the way about him I feel the way about Francois Sagat - we'd get on if we ever actually met.  Dear me.

I've been reconsidering ... the extra violence and sex in the movie.  Is it a necessary addition to make the story more like a movie, or was it added in by the studio, or is it a generational thing - extra sex and violence is needed to get the same effect?

No comments: